Helping Seniors Settle in Aged Care

9 Effective Tips to Help Seniors Settle in Aged Care Easily

Seniors moving from independent living to an aged care residence is a bit challenging at first. Likewise, the entire family going through such might find it hard to adjust to changes. For old people, most of all, adjusting to a new environment and dealing with strangers may become distressing.

But because such times eventually come for most families, preparation is key.

According to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare in 2016, there is about 1 out of every 3 seniors who have already gone through aged care; whether permanent residential care or respite care. It is inevitable for many.

Although it is emotionally upsetting to let your elderly parents move out of the house, you can do a few things to make this transition from home living to aged care an exciting experience for the entire family.




Your ageing parents may become emotionally invested in their own home. Thinking about leaving it, may make them feel apprehensive and morose. So, before anything else, you have to make sure that they are prepared emotionally. Let them have their time to grieve.

However, you must clarify why they have to go through changes and why they are moving. This will help them understand where you are coming from. Since moving out from their own home is perceived as a loss of control, you can let them take part in the process of planning their transfer.




Speaking of planning, you can provide them a visual of what to expect. If possible, show them possible aged care facilities and the potential rooms for them. To be creative, you can create a graphic plan of their residence by cutting pieces of paper to represent furniture and having elderly loved ones help in arranging them. In this manner, they will have an idea of what they are getting into, making them feel excited about moving out.




This should not be a solo job. If possible, you can gather family members to help you out with the planning. Encourage your siblings and other close relatives to take days off from work and even let young children participate. Surrounding your elderly relatives with their loved ones will make them feel inspired and courageous, thus easing out the emotional stress they are going through.  




Since your ageing parents are moving out of their home, downsizing is sure to follow. Go through your family’s possessions and see which stuff needs to go and which needs to stay. Categorise each item and label accordingly.

However, you must not do all the deciding and allow your parents to take charge and see which objects will go with them and which will be passed on to other members of the family. This might cause them to be too emotional. So just check if they will be bringing too much stuff with them to the nursing home.




Moving your loved one to an aged care facility is, in itself, an emotional phase in life. However, you must remember to keep a positive outlook during this transition even if your elderly parents do not. You have to be their emotional support during this time. Never complain and bicker as doing these may only make matters worse.




Remember the plan you did earlier? Now is the time to execute that plan. Once you have brought in all the furniture and stuff, you can start making the room homely. Add aesthetic appeal if possible and make it feel similar to a senior’s old home or bedroom. Bring in the same decorations they had and make sure that the entire space is very comfortable for them to move around.




Feeling abandoned is probably the most common feeling seniors get when in aged care facilities. So it is extremely vital to visit them once in a while if your schedule permits. Just spend at least a few moments to catch up with them. These moments can do wonders for them.




Your visits, be it weekly or monthly, are also opportunities to check-in with the staff. Hear out any complaints from your ageing parents and see if these are reasonable. Whenever they have complaints, make sure that you politely bring this to the attention of the staff. Similarly, you can ask what activities are done daily or ask for any special requests. Just remember that the entire management and the staff are only there to make sure that all residents are comfortable and happy with their services.  




If you think your elderly loved one can manage, you can take them out for afternoon walks or meals in nearby restaurants. You can come up with fun activities and bring along with you other members of the family to join in. By having friends and family over to spend time with seniors, living in aged care will be a bit easier.


Helping an elderly family member or a friend transition into aged care facilities or nursing homes may draw out a lot of emotions. By following these simple tips, the move will become less painful for everyone.

Make sure to choose the right aged care home on the first try so future transfers are avoided. Seek financial and legal advice today.

Call Signpost Aged Care Services on 1800 744 676.  

Until next time

Sara and Margaret

When do you know that your elderly parents need help?

When will you know when your elderly parents need help? One thing is certain: your parents won’t be the ones who tell you they need help!

 Seniors have a strong desire to remain independent and in control of their own lives for as long as possible. In their place, wouldn’t you feel the same way? The last thing they want is to become a burden to their children or loved ones. Typically, the aging senior will experience a traumatic event or “wake-up call” precipitating the realization that they need assistance. For example, they may suffer a stroke or had a fall; or cognitive decline, such as the onset of dementia may result in a danger to themselves or others, like leaving the stove on.

Because you, the adult child, are unable to anticipate your parents’ need for assistance until this traumatic event takes place, the emotional distress and the work/life crisis can hit you like a runaway train, making it very painful and difficult to make educated decisions you can become comfortable with. One way to avoid this is to start monitoring your parents’ physical and mental abilities today, and research your care options should your parents begin to show signs of needing assistance.

So, what are some of the common indicators that your parents may need some form of assistance or care? Here are some of the telltale signs.

Your parents have difficulty with or are incapable of performing routine activities of daily living (ADLs) such as:

  • Bathing
  • Dressing and grooming
  • Toileting
  • Transferring or moving from place to place (e.g., moving from the bed to a chair)
  • Walking
  • Eating

Changes in their physical appearance may indicate they need assistance:

  • Noticeable weight loss (difficulty cooking, eating, shopping for food, etc.)
  • Sloppy appearance/poor hygiene (difficulty bathing, dressing, and grooming)
  • Black-and-blue marks on the body could indicate they have had a fall
  • Noticeable burns on the skin could indicate they’ve experienced problems cooking

Warning Signs That Your Ageing Parent Needs Help

Certain physical clues around your parents’ home may be a red flag:

  • The yard has not been maintained as it normally has (difficulty completing regular tasks)
  • The house interior has not been maintained as it normally has (difficulty completing regular tasks)
  • Automobile dents and scratches could indicate impaired driving ability
  • Carpet stains, perhaps caused by dropping and spilling things
  • Urine odor in house (signs of incontinence)
  • Pots and pans with noticeable burn marks could indicate they forgot about food on the stove and left it burning
  • Unopened mail/unpaid bills may indicate difficulty completing regular tasks
  • Unfilled prescriptions (difficulty completing regular tasks)
  • Low food supply (difficulty completing regular tasks)

You may observe some unusual behavior by your parent:

  • Lack of drive or motivation
  • Failure to return your phone calls
  • Verbally or physically abusive

You may notice some of the warning signs that your parent may have dementia or some other cognitive impairment:

  • Consistent memory lapses
  • Confusion
  • Loss of reasoning skills
  • Difficulty performing familiar tasks
  • Frequently misplaces things
  • Frequently gets lost walking or driving
  • Repetitive speech
  • Unable to complete a sentence
  • Rapid mood swings or changes in behavior
  • Changes in personality
  • Wears the same clothes over and over
  • Cannot recall names of familiar people or objects
  • Loss of initiative

If you believe your parents are experiencing one or more of the above indicators, then the next step is to talk with them about their care needs in such a way that they themselves identify the problem and come up with the solutions.

It’s very important that your parents are the ones making the decision to seek help and decide which option best meets their care and assistance needs. Tough decisions such as selling their home and moving elsewhere should be their own and not yours or their doctor’s or some other interested parties. Put yourself in their shoes. The decision to move out of their home where they’ve created a very comfortable, secure environment for themselves over the years is a very traumatic change and must be handled with extreme care and sensitivity.  You might consider getting some help in for them in their own home.

If you need help working out how to support your parents, we can assist so give us a call on 1800 744 676.

Until next time

Sara and Margaret

Signpost Aged Care Services Hawthorn VIC 3122

Looking to find Signpost ACS in Hawthorn VIC?

Use the Google Map above, share it to your mobile phone and you won’t get lost when traveling to our Signpost consultants.

What areas do we offer aged care advice to in Australia?

Obviously we currently have customers from the suburbs listed at the bottom of our main page.

Those suburbs in Victoria are: Hawthorn, Hawthorn East, Balwyn, North Balwyn, Mont Albert, Toorak, Melbourne, Camberwell, Ashburton, Malvern, Malvern East, St Kilda, Elwood, Brighton, Kew, Kew East.

If you read our testimonial page you will see that we have been successful assisting people from other states in Australia and also from overseas.

Please contact us on 1800 744 676 to book an appointment with one of our consultants and ask that burning question about aged care in Australia and find out how we can assist you.

Are you too busy throughout the day to call us? Perhaps you would like to make use of the videos on the Signpost Aged Care Services YouTube channel, such as this video on the difference between retirement villages and nursing homes.

Best wishes and we hope this information will be of assistance to you.

Margaret Harrison and Sara Cook