Here is some help to understand aged care home care packages.
There are 5 steps to complete before you start using a home care package:
- Be assessed by Aged Care Assessment Service/Team (ACAS/ACAT) or a Regional Assessment Service (RAS) for eligibility for a home care package. This assessment is done on behalf of the Federal Government (usually by a local hospital or council)and it is free. The assessor comes to your home. To book an assessment, call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.
- Once you have been assessed as eligible, you will receive a letter from My Aged Care advising that you have been assessed as eligible. This does not mean that you can access services yet. It just means that you have been approved. You need to wait until step 3 before you can do anything further.
- You will receive a further letter from My Aged Care advising you that a package has been allocated to you. This letter has a unique referral code. It can take months for this letter to arrive – especially if the approved package is a level 3 or 4 package. Once you have the unique code, you can now start finding a provider who can supply services to you under the package.
- You need to call around to providers to find one who will meet your needs. What you get from a package is negotiable. Some providers might give you a lot more for your package than another so it is important that you shop around. You should have a list of the things that you want from your package and talk to several providers to see who best meets your needs.
- You will need to reach an agreement with the provider – they will usually ask you to sign an agreement. Once that is signed, you are ready to go!!! If you are not happy with the provider and cannot resolve your complaints with them, you can move your package to another provider.
If you don’t have the time to shop around and find the best provider, we can do it for you. If you need help, call us on 1800 744 676.
Until next time
Sara and Margaret